Wednesday, August 20, 2008

OMNI...what?

I was reading the other day, which is now a major part of my vocation, and I was trying to synthesize some of the things I was ingesting. I was perusing ideas and comments of folks that were disturbed, confused and antagonistic towards Jesus and especially an evangelical take on Jesus. They seemed to understand that story, what we call the gospel - in the fullest sense of the term, as only relevant to a small group of people, or if to a larger group, then relevant only to certain sectors or slices of their lives. I began to disagree and reason with myself why I did so, and as I engaged in this silent conversation I actually coined a new term - at least I think I did. OMNIrelevant. It was my stuppering exclamation to the effect of the gospel. No, I said. It is...always relevant...it is...OMNI relevant. Of course, omni is a Latin expression meaning "universal" or "thoroughgoing in a superlative sense." Theologians often use it to describe aspects of God like his knowledge (omniscience), power (omnipotence), or presence (omnipresence). I thought it perfectly applicable to ascribe the same universality to the relevance and impact of the story of Jesus - again, in the fullest sense. Although the name "Jesus" doesn't appear until almost the end of the Bible, in my study of it I have come to understand the entire thing to be about Him, the search for Him, the celebration of Him, the worship of Him. Therefore, my worldview says that the entire Bible is about Jesus, and informs me that the Bible, which is God's specific revelation, is the ONLY means anyone has for making sense out of life. Where else can we go to answer the deepest questions that humans have been asking for millenia? Why are we here? What is my purpose? Why is there suffering? What happens after death? How do I relate to God? How do I relate to others?


These are the questions that life is built on. The manner in which we answer these questions will determine the trajectory of our life. Unfortunately, we have many things working against receiving the proper answers to those questions. Our familial inheritance, our culture, our predisposition towards human reason and philosophy that is rampant in our era. So, this meager little site - far from being a "ministry" or something like that - is simply intended to be a forum to address some of these topics in a devotional manner. Here I will post some of my Biblical questions and answers as I spend the long hours each week studying, reading, writing and preparing for teaching the Bible. One could consider these words to be some of the "spill over" or "over flow" of that work. I hope that they foster some genuine interaction and are encouraging, meaningful, and a provocation to more study, reflection, and a missional approach to life. May you be blessed.

No comments: